Friday, June 28, 2013

Ultimate Sacrifice

The Ultimate Sacrifice 

The Ultimate Sacrifice is a series of two images taken from one painting entitled, Believe.  

Believe - Christine Nichols, 2009

12x12 Canvas, Acrylic

I began painting the 12x12 canvas in a church I was attending in 2009. The Holy Spirit choose the hues of sky blue with wisps of white and and dabs of red and directed the movement of the paintbrush as such. At one point, I was told by the Spirit to paint the number seven (7) on the canvas. The pastor of the church walked by and saw the seven in the middle of canvas. We talked about how seven represents perfection in the Bible. A short time later, the Holy Spirit told me to place a paper towel layer over the wet canvas. I obeyed and lightly patted the paper towels like a mother gently comforting her infant child. Carefully lifting up the paper towel, I laid it down to dry and stared at the image that had been lifted up from the canvas. 

Ultimate Sacrifice Series - Christine Nichols, 2009

The pastor walked by again and I asked him what he saw. He said, "Christ being taken down off the cross." I needed the confirmation because I had NOT painted an image of Christ or a cross. Just the number seven. I knew that a miracle had taken place. I was a bit shaken, but the Lord wasn't done yet. He compelled me to continue painting. Again, I obeyed and began painting as the Spirit lead, adding layers of paint and movement. Eventually, the movement turned into swirls of paint like a red ribbon weaving across and down the canvas. For the second time, the Lord told me to place a layer of paper towels over the wet canvas. I wondered what would happen this time as I followed His instructions. 

Ultimate Sacrifice Series - Christine Nichols, 2009

Lifting up the paper towel, I saw three separate images - again, none that I had painted. The top image represents the Lord's body as if it was tightly wrapped and laying on a slab in a tomb. If you look closely, you will even see the imprint of eyes, nose and a mouth. The middle image is Christ sitting up in the tomb. The third is a pile of His burial cloths and He is gone! The resurrection of Jesus Christ!! 

I would never presume to paint such a scene of Christ being taken down from the cross or of His blessed resurrection. I consider both "lifted up" images to be miracles. There is no other explanation. 


Succession of images taken from the painting, Believe. It wasn't until I bought the images and canvas home that the Lord instructed me to paint the word, "Believe"in gold on the canvas and gave me the Scripture verse, Romans 10:9. "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."



No comments:

Post a Comment