Sunday, October 2, 2011

How is Prophetic Art Created?

I believe Prophetic Art is created by the Holy Spirit as a believer of Jesus Christ submits to His lordship in their lives and in the arts. The Christian artist seeks not their own will in creating art but the will of Father God. The Holy Spirit, who knows the heart of God and man, may then give a vision or dream according to the Father's Will, or may alert the artist that's time to paint and lead them through the creative process. Music can also be used for God's glory in prophetic painting. More and more churches are now including Worship Art as part of the praise service. Whichever supernatural way God chooses, the Holy Spirit is ever present as He inspires and creates the prophetic art. The process is essentially a partnership with the Holy Spirit and believers to create works of art that will glory God and send forth His message. 

What's Your Story, Christine?
I've been doing prophetic art since the Lord called me to paint for Him in 2009. When called, I understood that God wanted me to paint but the "prophetic" part was new to me, and if truth be told, kinda scared me. I thought, "who am I to speak for God?!" Then He began giving me visions of paintings. I dragged my feet for about a month because I didn't really know how to begin. Then on one sunny, but crisp Autumn day, Jesus told me, "If you don't paint now, I'll give the paintings to someone else!" That really motivated me to step out in faith. 

I have been creative for as long as I can remember but the only formal art education I've received is two Community Education classes on watercolors. Since 1995, I've dabbled in watercolors doing mostly landscapes and contemporary art cut-outs with a watercolor insert or backing. One genre that I've always been drawn to is abstract art but I never tried it on my own, other than mimicking other abstract artists' works.

Where To Begin?
The first time I went shopping for art supplies, I asked God to guide my purchases. To my surprise, instead of watercolor paints and paper, He directed me to acrylics, canvases, larger brushes and palette knives, and a sturdy art easel. Again, I've always dreamed of painting on canvas with an easel like a real artist, but never had the courage to try given the expense involved.

"My love for You." ©Christine Nichols, 2009
The first prophetic painting started with an intense leading of the Holy Spirit that it was time to paint. Obeying, I assembled the supplies on the dining room table and asked in prayer that God would guide my mind and move my hand. I prayed that His message would go forth and that He would be glorified. Then I simply took a leap of faith and submitted to Him. The Holy Spirit lead me to the table and directed my eyes to the supplies He wanted me to use for the painting. He gave knowledge of brush strokes and art techniques I had never known. There have been times when I actually felt Christ's hand on mine moving the brush or splattering paint on the canvas with more force than I could muster on my own. 

More than seventy paintings later, each new piece of art begins with the same leading from the Holy Spirit and a similar prayer asking for guidance and glorifying God. Most of the time, I don't know what I'll paint but the Lord has never failed to lead the creative process from choosing the colors to the last brush stroke. Early on in starting the Prophetic Art ministry, Jesus gave a Scripture verse for the collection of art that would follow: 
Because Your love is better than life itself, my lips will glorify You! Psalm 63:3 Along with a simple but powerful mission statement: "It's all about My love."  

No comments:

Post a Comment